Join PechaKucha San Antonio for its First Online Event June 4th – Donations Encouraged to Support PechaKucha and San Antonio Food Bank
PechaKucha San Antonio – the global arts and culture series that hosts speakers who share their passions in a unique format – is excited to announce the lineup for its Volume 38 edition, scheduled for Thursday, June 4, 2020, live streamed on PechaKucha San Antonio’s Youtube and Facebook. The night begins with presentations starting at 7:00 p.m. This will be PechaKucha San Antonio’s first online event to practice safe social distancing during these uncertain times.
Vol. 38 will feature a talented group of locals. The six presenters include (bios on all presenters can be found at the end of the press release):
- Jess DeCuir, Theremin Fanatic
- Kate Jaceldo, Compost Queen
- Gabriel Ibarra, Corporate Chef/Partner
- Jess Elizarraras, Curiosity Connoisseur
- Ben Yanto, Animal Adoption Advocate
- Gabriela Santiago, Educator
Emcee for the evening will be local singer-songwriter Garrett T. Capps. This event will be completely free and donations are encouraged to help support the San Antonio Food Bank and fund PechaKucha San Antonio. To donate, please visit lascasasfoundation.org/pksa. Donations will be split equally between the San Antonio Food Bank and PechaKucha San Antonio.
Everyone who donates will be entered to win a curated gift basket that will be raffled off at the end of the event. The gift basket will include local goodies like a gift card to Bakery Lorraine, Tio Pelon’s Salsita salsa, Olla Express Coffee, and more!
PechaKucha San Antonio would not be possible without the support of annual sponsors, including:
- Lake Flato Architects
- Centro Properties
- Zurich International Properties
- RYNO General Contractors
- San Antonio Food Bank
- Schroeder Art
- Gary and Janet Sweeney
- Southwest School of Art
In-Kind sponsors for the event include:
- Giles Design Bureau
- Giant Noise
- Josh Huskin Photography
- The San Antonio Current
- The Rivard Report
- Sprocket Media Hub
- Olla Express Cafe
- Bakery Lorraine
- Tio Pelon’s Salsita
PechaKucha San Antonio is presented in partnership with the Las Casas Foundation. For more information about PechaKucha, visit pechakucha.org/cities/san-antonio and follow along on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. If you are interested in being a sponsor, please contact Mary Demarigny at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jess DeCuir, Theremin Fanatic, http://www.hyperbubble.net/
- Jess DeCuir is a San Antonio artist with an MFA from UTSA and a BFA from Webster University, St. Louis. An award-winning educator, she has taught art at San Antonio College and the Southwest School of Art for over twenty years. Jess and her partner Jeff are in the international electronic music duo, Hyperbubble. They are currently wrapping up a four-year documentary film, Cowgirls and Synthesizers. The film prominently features Jess’s favorite instrument, the theremin.
Kate Jaceldo, Compost Queen, https://www.compostqueenstx.com/
- Alchemist Kate Jaceldo is the co-founder of Compost Queens, a company that transforms food waste into compost. A special ed teacher, social worker and transition facilitator for a public school district, her passion for a sustainable food system and concerns about the climate crisis radically changed her course. Born and raised in South Texas, today the Compost Queen works hard to save the planet – or at least San Antonio – one bucket at a time.
Gabriel Ibarra, Corporate Chef/Partner, https://www.cappysrestaurant.com/
- Gabriel Ibarra is a Corporate Chef and Managing Partner of Cappy’s, Cappyccino’s, La Fonda on Main, and Mama’s Café. Gabe lovingly credits his mom as his first inspiration in his interest in the culinary arts; “my mom’s cooking was horrible, so it was either eat her bad food or learn to cook.” He is an advocate for fair wages for restaurant employees, self reliance & growing your own food, and sustainability in the food supply chain.
Jess Elizarraras, Curiosity Connoisseur, Instagram @JessElizarraras
- Since moving to the Alamo City in 2004 to attend the University of Texas at San Antonio, Jess Elizarraras spent the last decade writing about (and eating her way through) her adopted city. The Rio Grande Valley native enjoys climbing giant towers of seafood and putting too much Lucas on her fruit cups. Now as the Chief Engagement Officer for Dorćol Distilling + Brewing Co., Jess is exploring the fascinating world of marketing, PR and event planning.
Ben Yanto, Animal Adoption Advocate, https://byantophoto.smugmug.com/, Instagram @thephosterdad
- Ben Yanto is a photographer and animal lover who has made San Antonio his home for the last 16 years. In what started as a social media plea to help rescue a dog from a local shelter in 2014, he discovered that through his photography, he could help connect potential adopters with needy pups. To date, he has welcomed more than 185 foster dogs into his home, in addition to the 4 dogs that permanently reside with him.
Gabriela Santiago, Educator
- A fiercely creative self-starter with a focus on education, Gabriela Santiago develops pedagogical programming that weaves together a network of interdisciplinary resources to make learning engaging, accessible, and relevant – evidence that meaningful experiences have enduring effects. A certified EC-12 career educator, Gabriela has designed and facilitated inquiry-based classroom and museum curriculum, out-of-school programming, and interactive public works for all ages. Today, she is wrapping up a wonderful school year at Lamar Elementary. Outside of her artist/educator habits, Gabriela is always looking for an excuse to spend time on a Texas river with her pup, Turkey.